Cardi B just broke a record by having her first 3 hot 100 hits rank in the top 10.
- “No Limit” no. 4
- “Motorsport” no. 7
- “Bodak Yellow” no. 10
This feat has only been accomplished by two other artists in history. The Beatles in 1964, and Ashanti in 2002. This is pretty crazy to think about- especially considering that the Beatles went on to sell over 250 million records, and are considered one of the most famous bands of all time.
Will Cardi B follow in their footsteps? Only time will tell. She may very well disappear by 2019, but her popularity in 2017 makes total sense.
- She has been surrounded by controversy
Within the last few weeks, all of the following have occurred
- a “sex tape” of her has been leaked ( it was just her dancing naked, but the internet still freaked out anyway
- A video surfaced featuring her fiance Offset and a naked mystery woman in a hotel bathroom. Just the fact that she is engaged to Offset is a big deal, as Migos is one of the most recognizable names in Hip Hop this year.
- She had sex on Instagram live with Offset ( again proven to be fake, but the internet still lost its mind)
- Celina Powell came out and said that Offset was the father of her unborn baby. Considering that she lied about the Chief Keef and Fetty Wap pregnancies- we’re inclined to be very skeptical.
Anyway, it’s pretty easy to see how all of this would create headlines, and generate buzz around Cardi’s music.
2. 2017 has been a great year for female rappers in general
Two things happened that caused this:
- Donald Trump became president
If Donald Trump wasn’t already an enemy of the feminist movement, he became one when the “grab them by the pussy” video surfaced. Beyond that, there have been multiple accusations of sexual assault from our current commander and chief- although none of them have been proven.
- The #MeToo movement
This movement started when women started coming out against creepy Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, who used his power in the industry to rape tons of actresses. The movement unearthed many of cases of sexual assault, some of which had occurred from over a decade ago! Over 97 male celebs have been fired from their jobs and dropped from contracts as a result- here’s a current list of a few famous ones:
- Louis CK
- Kevin Spacey
- Matt Lauer
- Charlie Rose
- Dan Johnson
From this crazy shit storm, a road has been paved for women with a loud voice.
And as it happens, famous female rappers happen to have loud voices, and a large audience too.
Niki Minaj has long been the person you think of when “female rapper” comes to mind. She’s become a legend and has inspired a movement.
Now female artists who aren’t even rappers like Beyonce and Rihanna have been flexing their chops, making it much more acceptable for others to do so. This year we’ve seen success for artists like Stefflon Don, Lady Leshurr, Nadia Rose, and Ms. Banks.
In short, Cardi B’s popularity could be explained the two factors mentioned above. But will it last?
We’ll have to wait and find out.